What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon Monoxide (CO), also known as Carbonous Oxide, is a colourless gas that is both odourlous and tasteless.

Carbon monoxide is highly poisonous/toxic to humans and animals, the intake of high quantities of CO by humans could lead to permanent health damage or death.

The majority of the world's carbon monoxide is naturally produced, but as it is diluted by so many other gases the effects on humans are minimal. It's when carbon monoxide is produced in a confined or poorly ventilated area such as a home or factory that it's effect can become deadly.

Now that you know what carbon monoxide is, why not read more about it in our other carbon monoxide FAQ's.

Where does CO come from?

Why do I need a CO detector/alarm?

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

Where should I place my CO detector?

Information for landlords