Why do I need a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Carbon monoxide detectors (carbon monoxide alarms) are devices that detect the presence of carbon monoxide gas, sounding an alarm when the concentration of CO in the air becomes dangerous for humans, and therefore preventing carbon monoxide poisoning.

In every home or workplace that has fuel burning devices that have the capability of malfunction such as water heaters, stoves/cookers, fireplaces or gas heating there is a risk of a carbon monoxide build up which could result in carbon monoxide poisoning. As early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are very similar to many other common ailments, such as tiredness, flu, viral infections or food poisoning, it may be too late before the real cause is realised. You are also at great risk when you are asleep as you may not become aware of CO poisoning symptoms. Having a carbon monoxide alarm could save your life.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) of the UK Government strongly recommends the use of a carbon monoxide detector along with proper maintenance of all fuel burning devices in the home or workplace.

The US Government CPSC also recommends the purchase and installion of carbon monoxide detectors in every home, whilst in some states the installation of a detector is mandatory.

In Australia carbon monoxide detectors will soon become compulsory in all homes which have fitted gas appliances.

The Canadian Government's Health Canada also advises the use of a carbon monoxide detector to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Now that you know why you need a carbon monoxide detector, why not read more about CO in our other carbon monoxide FAQ's.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Where does Carbon Monoxide come from?

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

Where should I place my CO detector?

Information for landlords